[Simh] Problem booting VMS 1.5
Geoff Shearer
2006-12-20 03:03:00 UTC
Hi all,

I hope someone can help
I am attempting to boot VMS 1.5 and I get the following error on boot:

OPCOM, 19-DEC-1979 21:56:27.82, LOGFILE INITIALIZED, OPERATOR=_OPA0:

$ !
$ ! VAX/VMS system startup - Release 1
$ !
$ SHOW TIME
19-DEC-1979 21:56:27
$ SET NOVERIFY
OUNT-I-MOUNTED, CONSOLE mounted on _DXA1:

**** FATAL BUG CHECK, VERSION = 1.50 INVEXCEPTN, Exception while above ASTDEL or
n interrupt stack

CURRENT PROCESS = STARTUP

REGISTER DUMP

R0 = 0000001F
R1 = 001F0000
R2 = 00005E20
R3 = 00006BD9
R4 = 80090930
R5 = 00005D3A
R6 = 80014A00
R7 = 00005D3A
R8 = 8008E600
R9 = 00006A9C
R10= 00006BD9
R11= 8008E600
AP = 7FFDC464
FP = 7FFEEBA8
SP = 7FFEEB70
PC = 80004E7D
PSL= 001F0009

KERNEL/INTERRUPT STACK

7FFEEB78 00000004
7FFEEB7C 7FFEEBA8
7FFEEB80 FFFFFFFD
7FFEEB84 00000008
7FFEEB88 00000000
7FFEEB8C 00000005
7FFEEB90 0000000C
7FFEEB94 00000004
7FFEEB98 00000000
7FFEEB9C 00003617
7FFEEBA0 00DF0000
7FFEEBA4 00005F13
7FFEEBA8 00000000
7FFEEBAC 0FFC0000
7FFEEBB0 7FFDC418
7FFEEBB4 7FFEEBE4
7FFEEBB8 800087E9
7FFEEBBC 00005E20
7FFEEBC0 00006BD9
7FFEEBC4 80090930
7FFEEBC8 00005D3A
7FFEEBCC 00000000
7FFEEBD0 0000047F
7FFEEBD4 000015F8
7FFEEBD8 00006A9C
7FFEEBDC 00006BD9
7FFEEBE0 8008E600
7FFEEBE4 00000000
7FFEEBE8 00000000
7FFEEBEC 7FFDC418
7FFEEBF0 7FFDC400
7FFEEBF4 8000B4E3
7FFEEBF8 80000096
7FFEEBFC 03C00000

EXEC STACK

PROCESS PRIVILEGES

800C4800 FFFFFFFF
800C4804 FFFFFFFF

IMAGE NAME = DBA2:[SYSEXE]SYSGEN.EXE;1

Thanks,

Geoff Shearer
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Geoff Shearer
I hope someone can help
Here's how I would install VMS V1.5 -- I just tested this configuration
file and the step by step procedure. Both files are attached.

(Quick summary: it involves installing V3.0, booting into V3.0, then
installing V1.5 on a disk while booted into V3.0, then booting into V1.5.

All this is because V3.x has the DSC2 utility which is required to
extract VMS V1.5. DSC2 was dropped by V4.0.)

You can adjust the paths in the config file if you like. Doesn't really
matter where things lives as long as SIMH can find them all.

I used Linux paths in config file, but if you use Windows, just change
to Windows style pathnames.

Once you have installed VMS V1.5, you can uncomment the 'BOOT RP0' line
near the bottom of the config file for automatic booting into V1.5 if
you like.

-Dan
-------------- next part --------------
; VAX-11/780
;
; set memory size to 8MB
SET CPU 8M

; No RL Drives - VMS Device-Code: DLx
SET RL DISABLED

; No Cardreader - VMS Device-Code: CRx
SET CR DISABLED

; No LP11 line printer
SET LPT DISABLED

; No TUK50 TMSCP Controller
SET TQ DISABLED

; No RA disks - VMS Device-Code: RAx
SET RQ DISABLED

; No RX01 Console Floppy - VMS Device-Code: CSx
;SET RX DISABLED

; No SERIAL LINES
SET DZ DISABLED

; No RK07 disks - VMS Device-Code: DMx
SET HK DISABLED

; MASSBUS Disks - VMS Device-Code: DBx
SET RP ENABLE
SET RP0 RP06
SET RP1 RP06
SET RP2 RP06
SET RP3 RP06
SET RP4 RP06
SET RP5 RP06
SET RP6 RP06
SET RP7 RP06

ATT RP0 disks/VMS015.rp6
ATT RP1 stabackups/STABA030.rp6
ATT RP2 disks/VMS030.rp6

SET RP2 DISABLED
SET RP3 DISABLED
SET RP4 DISABLED
SET RP5 DISABLED
SET RP6 DISABLED
SET RP7 DISABLED

; Two RX01 Floppies (in Addition to Console) - VMS Device-Code: DYx
SET RY0 SINGLE
SET RY1 SINGLE

;TS11 Tape - VMS Device-Code: MSx
SET TS ENABLE

; Tape Controller/Drive = TM03/TE16 - VMS Device-Code: MTx
SET TU ENABLE
SET TU0 TE16
SET TU1 DISABLED
SET TU2 DISABLED
SET TU3 DISABLED
SET TU4 DISABLED
SET TU5 DISABLED
SET TU6 DISABLED
SET TU7 DISABLED

SET CONSOLE LOG=logs/vms030.log

; To boot VMS 1.5 from RP06
;BOOT RP0
; To boot VMS 3.0 standalone backups from RP06
;BOOT RP1
; To boot VMS 3.0 from RP06
;BOOT RP2
-------------- next part --------------
If UNIX/Linux, mount CD under /cdrom then:

$ simh-vax780 vax.ini.15
<press return when prompted about overwrite last track>
sim> boot rp1
<ctrl-e>
sim> attach ts /cdrom/VMS030/BB-D782E-BE_VMS3.0_82.tap
sim> cont
<enter>
$ BACKUP/LOG/VERIFY MSA0:REQUIRED./SAVE DBA2:
<ctrl-e>
sim> boot rp2
1-MAY-1982 16:00
MSA0:
sim> boot rp2
<press return after SYSTEM job terminated>
Username: SYSTEM
Password: MANAGER
<ctrl-e>
sim> attach ts /cdrom/VMS015/BB-D782B-BE_VMS1.5_JUN79.tap
sim> cont
<press return>
$ mount/foreign msa0:
$ mount/foreign dba0:
$ mcr dsc2
DSC2>DBA0:=MSA0:VAXVMSRL1
DSC2>
<ctrl-z>
$ @sys$system:shutdown
<press return repeatedly to accept defaults for all shutdown prompts>
sim> boot rp0
<press return after SYSTEM job terminated>
1-MAY-1979 10:00
Username: SYSTEM
Password: MANAGER
Hölscher
2006-12-20 06:10:31 UTC
Post by Geoff Shearer
Hi all,
I hope someone can help
$ !
$ ! VAX/VMS system startup - Release 1
$ !
$ SHOW TIME
19-DEC-1979 21:56:27
$ SET NOVERIFY
**** FATAL BUG CHECK, VERSION = 1.50 INVEXCEPTN, Exception while above
ASTDEL or on interrupt stack
Hi,

I had the same problem once.

It was because of some 'newer' devices (introduced after VMS V1.5) which cannot be handled by SYSGEN as of VMS V1.5.
So if you remove all devices not known to VMS V1.5 from your simh configuration there should be no more Bug Check.

Regards

Ulli

P.S.
Remember in simh there are some devices enabled by default, so check your configuration with 'SHOW DEVICES'.
Zachary Kline
2006-12-20 10:59:22 UTC
I have to ask this, just because it's the first I heard of it.
Where did you get VMS 1.5?
Thanks,
Zack.

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Wow Geoff! I am impressed that you got the distro loaded into the
simulator! I don't recall a CD-ROM dist. for VMS 1.5! :)

What was the original dist. medium from which you loaded? And how?

________________________________

... Snip ...
Geoff Shearer

Password: MANAGER