[Simh] TINTE is not TECO either
Lars Brinkhoff
2018-11-10 13:12:20 UTC
TECO for RT-11 and SITS. (SITS was a timesharing system for the MIT
Logo PDP-11/45.)

https://github.com/PDP-10/its-vault/blob/master/files/rjl/tinte.507
This is a text editor written in PALX (somewhat like macro-11, but
requires some editing to be assemblable by macro -- mostly straight
char string conversion). It purports to be somewhat like Fine (I
have no idea) and contains conditional assembly to the extent that
not only can you assemble it to run on a number of different system
configs, but you can select whether all messages printed will be in
english or will be in french!
https://www.saildart.org/HUMAN.MSG[1,LES]8
Rhialto
2018-11-10 15:49:10 UTC
Post by Lars Brinkhoff
TECO for RT-11 and SITS. (SITS was a timesharing system for the MIT
Logo PDP-11/45.)
https://github.com/PDP-10/its-vault/blob/master/files/rjl/tinte.507
This can *almost* be assembled with MACRO-11 from
https://gitlab.com/Rhialto/macro11/. I had to fix one small bug; the
remaining issues are different ideas about absolute vs. relative
sections (and if/that/how you can set the origin in them), some label
names that start with digits, undefined symbols for operating system
calls, and some genuine errors in the code regarding a conditional
block...

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert -- "What good is a Ring of Power
\X/ rhialto/at/falu.nl -- if you're unable...to Speak." - Agent Elrond
Lars Brinkhoff
2018-11-10 17:34:55 UTC
Post by Rhialto
Post by Lars Brinkhoff
https://github.com/PDP-10/its-vault/blob/master/files/rjl/tinte.507
This can *almost* be assembled with MACRO-11 from
https://gitlab.com/Rhialto/macro11/.
Interesting. I don't have RT-11 readily available, so I'm curious to
hear if anyone get it working. (I don't expect anyone to be running
SITS!)
Paul Koning
2018-11-12 14:41:04 UTC
Post by Lars Brinkhoff
TECO for RT-11 and SITS. (SITS was a timesharing system for the MIT
Logo PDP-11/45.)
Regular TECO also exists for RT-11. Is this one better? Or just different?

paul
Lars Brinkhoff
2018-11-12 14:51:58 UTC
Post by Paul Koning
Post by Lars Brinkhoff
TECO for RT-11 and SITS.
Regular TECO also exists for RT-11. Is this one better? Or just different?
I don't know. I'm not much of an RT-11 user, or TECO user. I just
found the source file lying around and wanted to pass it on.

It was most likely written and cross assembled on ITS, so it may be
inspired by ITS TECO rather than DEC TECO.
Clem Cole
2018-11-12 14:55:15 UTC
BTW: My old friend and college, Paul Cantrell's Video Teco is still one the
best and most portable: Video Teco Manual
<http://www.copters.com/teco.html> Video Teco Sources
<http://videoteco.sourceforge.net/>
Also, Ward has a notice description/history of Teco in his pages: Tape
Editor and COrrector <http://wiki.c2.com/?TecoEditor> Teco was later
renamed 'Text Editor', but it started as a tape editor.

ᐧ
Paul Koning
2018-11-12 15:04:40 UTC
BTW: My old friend and college, Paul Cantrell's Video Teco is still one the best and most portable: Video Teco Manual Video Teco Sources
Speaking of portable -- as a language learning exercise I did an implementation of TECO in Python. It includes screen handling as if running on a GT40. One fun aspect is that the Python 3 version, naturally, treats text as Unicode rather than 8 bit text.

Maybe I should post it somewhere for others to play with. It's not the best Python code, but it gets the job done. I wish I could find the GT40 editing macros, though.

paul
Richard
2018-11-12 20:22:51 UTC
Post by Paul Koning
Maybe I should post it somewhere for others to play with. It's not the
best Python code, but it gets the job done. I wish I could find the GT40
editing macros, though.
github :)
The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>
Lars Brinkhoff
2018-11-12 15:05:38 UTC
Post by Clem Cole
Also, Ward has a notice description/history of Teco in his pages: Tape
Editor and COrrector Teco was later renamed 'Text Editor', but it
started as a tape editor.
Dan Murphy has a copy of his "The Beginnings of TECO" here:
http://tenex.opost.com/anhc-31-4-anec.pdf
Johnny Billquist
2018-11-12 21:08:36 UTC
Post by Paul Koning
Post by Lars Brinkhoff
TECO for RT-11 and SITS. (SITS was a timesharing system for the MIT
Logo PDP-11/45.)
Regular TECO also exists for RT-11. Is this one better? Or just different?
I looked quickly at the code, and I think the "not TECO either" should
be taken literally. It does not seem to be anything close to a TECO clone.

Seems like a screen oriented editor with various menus, and some kind of
word processing capability, including also controlling a printer.

Johnny
--
Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
email: ***@softjar.se || Reading murder books