[Simh] qvss (vcb01) configuration , No known examples ?
James W. Laferriere
2018-06-26 20:27:06 UTC
Hello All , In my google searching for examples of (Hopefully correct)
configurations of the qvss in the VAX portion of simh . I have come across
exactly 0 (zero) configuration examples that are not associated with a trouble
ticket or failure in some other part or device in the VAX implementation .

Does such an example exist ?

Tia , JimL
| James W. Laferriere | System Techniques | Give me VMS |
| Network&System Engineer | 3237 Holden Road | Give me Linux |
| ***@baby-dragons.com | Fairbanks, AK. 99709 | only on AXP |
Ray Jewhurst
2018-06-26 20:42:23 UTC
I too have been looking for proper use of qvss. For that matter I wonder if
there is a tutorial on how to getting DECWindows to work at all. I have
found documentation links on the HPE website but they are all broken.

Thanks

Ray
Henry Bent
2018-06-26 20:45:44 UTC
Hi JimL,

I have a fully working emulation of a MicroVAX II running Ultrix 2.3 and
X11R1 on Linux locally, with the most recent SIMH from git. Is there a
specific configuration you are looking to replicate, or have I
misunderstood your question?

-Henry
James W. Laferriere
2018-06-26 21:15:42 UTC
Hello Henry ,
Post by Henry Bent
Hi JimL,
I have a fully working emulation of a MicroVAX II running Ultrix 2.3 and
X11R1 on Linux locally, with the most recent SIMH from git. Is there a
specific configuration you are looking to replicate, or have I
misunderstood your question?
-Henry
The configuration for at the simh level for one . I've tried putting in
the 'SET CPU MODEL=VAXStation' and 'SET QVSS ENABLE" got me a segmentation fault
.
With just the 'SET CPU MODEL=VAXStation' the config runs without any
difficulties . I am uninformed enough that I am worried that this command needs
other or more configuration in order to bring up *windows* at OS runtime .

If I can get the 'Necessary' and hopefully correct 'SET' commands that
will not cause other or more difficulties .

And BTW I am being very dumbed'down in my requests above as SIMH is of
new use to me . I have a qbus varient of the 3900 (or there abouts) which I
have much time spent on .

A Ray Jewhurst , Is also looking for such info at both the SIMH level &
then in the appropriate configuration at the DecWindows level .

Tia , JimL
James W. Laferriere
2018-06-26 21:21:28 UTC
Hello Henry , I also with just the 'SET CPU MODEL=VAXStation' , I get
this messages ...

No protocol specified
xcb_connection_has_error() returned true
then
QVSS: Error Creating Video Window: No available video device
Henry Bent
2018-06-26 21:26:04 UTC
Here are the contents of my SIMH ini file, which may be of use as a
starting point. I am using the microvax2 simulator, compiled locally, and
I wonder if your difficulties stem from using a different or older
executable. What operating system and SIMH version are you using?

--
set cpu idle=ultrixold
set cpu autoboot
att nvr microvax2.nvr
set wtc time=std
set rq0 ra82
att rq0 ra82.dsk
set rq1 dis
set rq2 dis
set rq3 dis
set cr dis
set lpt dis
set rl dis
set tq0 lock
set tq1 dis
set tq2 dis
set tq3 dis
set ts dis
set tti 7b
set tto 7b
set qvss enable
set xq type=deqna
set xq MAC=08:00:2B:1C:63:00
att xq tap:tap3
set dz lines=8
set dz 7b
att dz 630
boot
--

-Henry
Post by James W. Laferriere
Hello Henry ,
Hi JimL,
James W. Laferriere
2018-06-26 22:30:18 UTC
Hello Henry , My more recent post begs to wait till we can figure out
how to get my SIMH to 'boot cpu' , then I can try diagnosing qvss further .

Thank you for your config below . I did find out that with only either
of 'set qvss enable' or 'set cpu model=vaxstation' no more segmentation faults .

I will dig into it some more after the work on the 'file open error' .

Twyl , JimL
Post by Henry Bent
[...]
Post by James W. Laferriere
Hello Henry ,
Hi JimL,
Mark Pizzolato
2018-07-01 19:03:38 UTC
Hi James,

What Linux distribution are you working on? If you've got specific input
that causes segfaults, then that will be fixed as soon as a reproducible
case is available.

- Mark
Post by Henry Bent
[...]
Post by James W. Laferriere
Hello Henry ,
Hi JimL,
Post by Henry Bent
Post by James W. Laferriere
OS runtime .
If I can get the 'Necessary' and hopefully correct 'SET' commands
that will not cause other or more difficulties .
And BTW I am being very dumbed'down in my requests above as SIMH
is of new use to me . I have a qbus varient of the 3900 (or there abouts)
which I have much time spent on .
A Ray Jewhurst , Is also looking for such info at both the SIMH
level & then in the appropriate configuration at the DecWindows level .
Tia , JimL
dragons.com>
Post by Henry Bent
James W. Laferriere
2018-07-01 23:38:49 UTC
Hello Mark ,
Post by Mark Pizzolato
Hi James,
What Linux distribution are you working on? If you've got specific input
that causes segfaults, then that will be fixed as soon as a reproducible
case is available.
- Mark
Slackware 14.2 64bit . In my case just using both of

SET CPU MODEL=VAXStation
SET GVSS ENABLE

Which causes the Segfault . Either one seperately there is no SegFault
and most every but 'boot cpu' works . But that is another story . Which I have
not had time to diagnose as of now . Will try strace of running process and see
what happens .

Tia , JimL
Post by Henry Bent
[...]
Post by James W. Laferriere