[Simh] AT&T 3B2 Emulator
Warren Young
2017-11-14 02:51:10 UTC
After several years in the making and lots and lots of reverse
engineering, I'm happy to announce that the AT&T 3B2/400 emulator now
boots and runs multi-user SVR3 UNIX.
Awesome!
https://loomcom.com/3b2/emulator/
Corrections, comments, and feeback are welcome!
You asked for it. :)

- This version of Unix hasn't ever been liberally-licensed, has it? The
last one I recall being so released was UNIX V7.
- "SVR3 is *very primitive*." Naaah. It's almost *modern*. UNIX V5 is
primitive, and OS/8 for the PDP-8 is *very primitive*. "Modern" would be
4.3BSD or newer. :)
- "Don't even expect man pages." That must be a matter of packaging. The
famous "ancient Unix V6" PDP-11 distribution contains man pages.
- "...you have to type the pound / hash symbol (#). Really." That must
be a default stty setting issue. I used 3B1s briefly back in the day, and I
don't recall any gymnastics required to delete a character. (I have a dead
3B1 mainboard nailed to the wall. I call it a 3B0. ;) )
Bob Radvanovsky
2017-11-14 03:07:09 UTC
I found this web site that contains all sorts of goodness...

https://archive.org/details/ATTUNIXSystemVRelease4Version2

AND...there's a version of AT&T UNIX System III for VAX (which is what I
had used years ago). BTW, at the bottom is a user manual for this release
of UNIX... ;)

-rad
SPC
2017-11-14 08:10:18 UTC
A LOT of THANKS, Seth.

I own an AT & T 3B2 / 400 still operational, but barely. In fact it gives
off a certain smell of ozone when it's been on for a while ;-) All this
apart from some recent failure of some internal electronic component. The
years do not forgive.

And in spite of everything, it is one of my most beloved machines.

So, once again, THANK YOU.

Gracias | Regards - Saludos | Greetings | Freundliche GrÌße | Salutations
​
--
*Sergio Pedraja*
Cory Smelosky

Tim Stark
2017-11-14 03:05:19 UTC
Finally!! I was looking for 3B2 emulator in long time. At Gallaudet University, I took Unix/C course and first learned how to write C programs on 3B2 minicomputer at CS lab.

Tim

After several years in the making and lots and lots of reverse
engineering, I'm happy to announce that the AT&T 3B2/400 emulator now
boots and runs multi-user SVR3 UNIX.

Awesome!

For more information, please see:

Seth Morabito
2017-11-21 21:10:49 UTC
Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that the 3B2/400 emulator is now part of the
main SIMH code base.

I'd like to express my many thanks to Mark Pizzolato for doing the
merge and spotting compatibility issues, and to Charles Anthony for
his help in getting many last-minute details polished up.

From now on, please consider https://github.com/simh/simh the sole
repository. I'll continue to make changes in my own fork, but will
open pull requests whenever there's a change ready to be merged.

-Seth
--
Seth Morabito
***@loomcom.com
Gordon Miller
2017-11-23 16:57:46 UTC
Guys, I'm out.
Sergii Kolisnyk
2017-11-30 22:03:50 UTC

could you tell, are C compiler sources present?

Thank you a lot!

Best regards,
Sergii
From now on, please consider https://github.com/simh/simh the sole
Seth Morabito
2017-12-01 01:47:52 UTC
Hello Sergii,

* On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 12:03:50AM +0200, Sergii Kolisnyk
Post by Sergii Kolisnyk
Hi,
could you tell, are C compiler sources present?
The C compiler sources are not present in any of the emulator images I
have provided, but they are available in several places online if you
are interested in them. I originally found a copy of the SVR3 sources
(including the C compiler, part of the AT&T SGS "Software Generation
System" package) on the Internet Archive.

All the best,

-Seth
--
Seth Morabito
***@loomcom.com
Sergii Kolisnyk

Seth Morabito
Alexander Voropay
2017-12-13 13:37:58 UTC
Hi!

"сс" in the 3B2 SYSV is a well known PCC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_C_Compiler

Sources are part of the the SGS - Software Generation System
./301/usr/src/cmd/sgs

There is also 3B2 SYSVR4 sources and many other souces at
vetusware.com (I doubt about legality):
https://www.google.ru/search?q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fvetusware.com%2F+source

It would we rather interesting to try to build a SYSVR4 from sources.
Hi,
Post by Seth Morabito
Hello Sergii,
* On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 12:03:50AM +0200, Sergii Kolisnyk
Hi,
Cory Smelosky
2017-12-13 19:35:19 UTC
Post by Alexander Voropay
Hi!
"сс" in the 3B2 SYSV is a well known PCC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_C_Compiler
Sources are part of the the SGS - Software Generation System
./301/usr/src/cmd/sgs
There is also 3B2 SYSVR4 sources and many other souces at
https://www.google.ru/search?q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fvetusware.com%2F+source
It would we rather interesting to try to build a SYSVR4 from sources.
Snag me a backplane for a 3B2/1000 or 3B2/622 and i'll do it ;)
--
Cory Smelosky
***@gewt.net