[Simh] F-11 chipset usage information
Christopher Trumbour
2018-09-17 18:25:13 UTC
Hello,

Several weeks ago I had obtained a set of DEC F-11 DIPs. That is,
Control (303E) and Data (302H) together on one ceramic DIP package,
and the memory management unit (304E) as a ceramic DIP. I've been
looking online for information regarding the pinouts and usage of
these ICs, but could only find very basic information (e.g. They
Exist) or information that is nifty but does not answer my questions
(e.g. Bob's web page on the F-11 with die shots).

I've directly emailed Bob a few weeks ago about this, but never got
any response. However, I know he's active on this list, so maybe if I
post here, he will notice me? I'd really love to know more information
about these chips, because it might be really cool to develop
something around them.

Thank you very much,
Christopher Trumbour
Al Kossow
2018-09-17 18:42:06 UTC
Post by Christopher Trumbour
it might be really cool to develop
something around them.
J-11's are easer to find. There are a bunch on eBay.

there is some activity with people building computers with them

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?58493-The-World-s-Fastest-Real-PDP-11/page3&highlight=pdp11+hack

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?63720-PDP-11-Hack-complete
Johnny Billquist
2018-09-17 18:57:37 UTC
Post by Al Kossow
Post by Christopher Trumbour
it might be really cool to develop
something around them.
J-11's are easer to find. There are a bunch on eBay.
there is some activity with people building computers with them
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?58493-The-World-s-Fastest-Real-PDP-11/page3&highlight=pdp11+hack
Hmm. "Worlds fastest real PDP-11"...? I guess none of them know of
Quickware. :-P
A J-11 have no chance in hell being the fastest "real" PDP-11.
(http://quickware.com/, and
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215103444/http://quickware.com/ for a
snapshot when they had some graphs showing CPU speeds.)

I seem to remember that Mentec also did some FPGA implementation. But I
could be remembering wrong.

Johnny
--
Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
email: ***@softjar.se || Reading murder books
Tim Shoppa
2018-09-17 19:21:53 UTC
In the 1980's, F-11 chip datasheets (enough to build a simple system)
seemed plentiful enough because DEC was making some attempt to market the
chips. I did some googling but find nothing. Maybe that's just a reflection
at how few non-DEC buyers there were for these chips!

Let me dive into the Micronotes and see if they give useful terms like part
numbers or published document numbers that will lead to datasheet
references.

F11's and J11's were used not just on Unibus and Q-bus CPU's but are also
found in DEC Pro's, HSC-50's, etc. So it's not unusual to find pulled chips.

Tim.
Johnny Billquist
2018-09-17 19:31:24 UTC
Also the VT-24x I seem to remember. Or was that a T11?
I found some documentation when checking 11/23 CPU documentation, but
not enough to really satisfy.

There were at least some arcade games that used PDP-11. But once again,
I wonder if it might have been mostly the T11 there too?

Johnny
Post by Tim Shoppa
In the 1980's, F-11 chip datasheets (enough to build a simple system)
seemed plentiful enough because DEC was making some attempt to market
the chips. I did some googling but find nothing. Maybe that's just a
reflection at how few non-DEC buyers there were for these chips!
Let me dive into the Micronotes and see if they give useful terms like
part numbers or published document numbers that will lead to datasheet
references.
F11's and J11's were used not just on Unibus and Q-bus CPU's but are
also found in DEC Pro's, HSC-50's, etc. So it's not unusual to find
pulled chips.
Tim.
On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 2:26 PM Christopher Trumbour
Henry Bent
2018-09-17 20:02:59 UTC
Post by Johnny Billquist
There were at least some arcade games that used PDP-11. But once again,
I wonder if it might have been mostly the T11 there too?
According to the MAME database those were all T-11, and there were not very
many of them (five, by my count, all by Atari).

-Henry
Al Kossow
2018-09-17 20:17:13 UTC
F11's and J11's were used not just on Unibus and Q-bus CPU's but are also found in DEC Pro's, HSC-50's, etc. So it's not
unusual to find pulled chips.
yup, ebay search for 57-19400 turns up 10+ sellers, incl new -09 rev

I bought a few of those a while back.